Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Mother's Letter to her Newborn Blog

Dear Blog,

Like a mother with a newborn child, I have such hopes for you, and lofty goals for your future. I dream that you will someday be filled with beautiful pictures, interesting stories, ironic witticisms, and funny anecdotes. I wish that many people will find you and love you, and that someday you will make me a lot of money and take care of me in my old age. But underneath that hope, sometimes buried deep in their psyche, every parent fears that their child will eventually be a nuisance and a disappointment to them. I doubt you because I doubt myself. I worry that I will try too hard to make you seem “cool” and not allow you to just be yourself. I fret that your stories will not be engaging and your jokes will fall flat. But for now, my little Blog-baby, you are fresh, new, and fun.

I hope that you and I will travel together, cook together and experience and unparalleled joie de vivre. Together we will tell beautiful stories to our friends that one day a publisher will happen to stumble upon and offer us a million dollar book deal. And then we can travel to even more exotic locations, and perhaps upgrade the kitchen, and people will love you so much that the first thing they do when they wake up in the morning will be to check in on you and see if you have anything new to say to them. They will wait with bated breath for you to speak. And your words will be wisdom, and inspire them to live better lives and perhaps even cure cancer.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? We’ll take it day-by-day, and I will learn your quirks and idiosyncrasies and I will do my best to nurture you and help you grow. I will try my best to let you develop at your own pace and see where life takes you. And now, my little Blog, I will take you into the world, with hope in my heart.

Love,
Your Mama

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! It's so great! Some tips: First, establish at the top what exactly your blog will be, so that people stopping by can see if they care or not! Secondly, add some tunes..people have told me they just come by to listen! Also, go to "dashboard" then layout, to personalize your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, blogging is the best waste of my time that I've ever engaged in. The best way to grow your blog is to be yourself. I can't wait to read this more often.

    ReplyDelete